Challenging Israel’s and Canada’s Global Pacification
An Independent Jewish Voices campaign against
The Military/Prison/Police/Surveillance Complex
Canada has imported the Israeli occupation and repression of Palestinians.
Through its wars and its repression of Palestinian dissent, Israel promotes its weapons as “battle-proven”. Israel is one of the world’s leading arms exporters, the world’s leading exporter of drones, a leader in “counterinsurgency” technologies and high-tech weapons systems, surveillance, and policing. Israel is a leader in how to change laws in order to justify collective punishment and unconventional weapons.
Israeli academic and peace activist Dr. Jeff Halper refers to this as Israel’s “pacification industry”, which is part of a broader global pacification industry. He also said that Israel is integrated in Canada’s public security.
IJV is in the process of researching the ways in which Canada is connected to Israel’s expanding pacification industry. We feel that it is important for us as Canadians to challenge a system of profit from illegal occupation and war crimes. We invite you to join with us in research and actions to expose and challenge this criminality that causes human misery.
Some examples of Canada/Israel integration of weapons/prison/policing/surveillance:
POLICING: In 2005 32 Canadian police-chiefs visited Israel, hosted by the Israeli Police and the Israeli Ministry of Internal Security. This visit was followed several months later by another visit by 39 police chiefs.
ACADEMIC: Canadian universities such as McGill and Concordia have links with Israeli academic intuitions such as Technion Institute which has weapons and security R&D, that targets Palestinians.
PUBLIC SECURITY: Canada and Israel signed the without Parliamentary approval, the 2008 Canada-Israel Public Security Cooperation.
Operation Proteus: Canadian aid has shifted from humanitarian aid to militarized policing in Palestine. “Operation Proteus, though military in origin, has grown to encompass team members from the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, the Canadian International Development Agency, Justice Canada, and the Canadian Border Services Agency [bringing] their expertise to the table.” http://www.jnews.org.uk/commentary/israel%E2%80%99s-new-military-ally
PRISONS: Senstar, owned by Israel’s Magal Security Systems has a major office and manufacturing facility in Carp (Ontario) “providing important assets for the testing and development of Magal’s broad range of surveillance and intrusion detection related security products.” Senstar provides perimeter security equipment for Correctional Service Canada. (Kilibarda)
WEAPONS: Israel, together with Canada, blocks investigation of Israel use of weapons such as white phosphorous, flechettes, Dense Inert Metal Explosives (DIME), cluster bombs. Unusual injuries were reported by medical personnel in the 2006, 2008-9 and 2014 attacks on Gaza.
Canada is one of six nations to vote against a 2014 UN resolution asking Israel to sign the nuclear weapons Non-Proliferation Treaty.
Canada was the only country on the UN Human Rights Council that voted against a ceasefire resolution in Israel’s 2009 massacre of Gazans.
“The Canadian forces have for years used drones, in particular the Israeli Heron drone for reconnaissance and intelligence work in Afghanistan… CAE has established close ties with the Israeli military-industrial complex, the biggest exporter of drones – most of them military—around the world.” (1.2 Échec à la Guerre).
PROFITS: $6.5 billion invested in corporations profiting from military- and “Homeland security” related contracts with Israel: The Canadian Pension Plan, Ontario Teachers Pension Plan, Quebec Pension Plan, Public Sector Pension Investments, Ontario Municipal Employees.
Canadian firms manufacture key components and training simulators for Israel’s weapons and surveillance systems (COAT).
Some helpful links:
- Richard Sanders of Coalition Opposed to the Arms Trade compiled a list of five Canadian pension plans and their investments in corporations supporting Israel’s military/police/surveillance/prison industrial complex. http://coat.ncf.ca/P4C/67/4-5.pdf
- Lia Tarachansky of the Real News Network interviews Canadian author Yves Engler and researcher Richard Sanders to discuss Canada’s military/security relationship with Israel. “Canadian Military Sales to Israel” http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6353
- Andrew Israel’s “battle-proven” weapons industry: “The Lab” documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-uGss0jKE
- Kole Kilibarda (2008). Canadian and Israeli Defense — Industrial and Homeland Security Ties: An Analysis. http://www.sscqueens.org/sites/default/files/Canadian%20and%20Israeli%20Defense%20Industrial%20and%20Homeland%20Security%20Ties.pdf
- Israel’s worldwide role in repression. Report from International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network. http://www.ipk-bonn.de/downloads/israels-worldwide-role-in-repression.pdf
- Demilitarize McGill http://demilitarizemcgill.com/end-the-assault-on-gaza-end-mcgills-complicity/#more-766
- Who Profits from the Occupation http://www.whoprofits.org http://www.globalexchange.org/economicactivism/campaigns
Contact & join IJV’s anti-militarization campaign: http://ijvcanada.org/pacification/
Email: info@ijvcanada. org