UPDATE: Aug 28, 2014 – After a global boycott campaign and declining sales, Sodastream announces it will close its West Bank factory.
No more SodaStream Bubbles in Canadian Tire Stores!
Over the past year, the movement to boycott companies that profit from the occupation of Palestinian land has gathered significant momentum. So much so, in fact, that the Israeli government has become increasingly worried about the potential impact on the Israeli economy.
Even investors have taken notice and have issued investment risk warnings for companies like SodaStream, given its factory in the illegal settlement of Ma’ale Adumim.
That’s exactly why we need to keep the spotlight on the companies and products here in Canada that are associated with the occupation. For this reason, Independent Jewish Voices and are allies in the Canadian Boycott Coalition have launched a new initiative that will ask Canadian Tire to stop selling SodaStream products in its 491 retail stores across Canada.
Help Get the Bad Air out of Canadian Tire! We’re talking about the soda products of SodaStream. We know Canadian Tire is already aware of the controversy around SodaStream and are currently considering how to respond. In fact, it is quite clear that doing business with SodaStream contravenes Canadian Tire’s own Supplier Code of Business Conduct. That’s why it’s so important that Canadian Tire hear from Canadians now.
What can you do?
1. Let your local Canadian Tire store manager know that SodaStream is a tainted product that should not be sold in their store. This guide to meeting with your local store manager can be used to set up and prepare for a meeting.
2. Send a letter to your local manager. We’ve prepared a letter that you can send to or leave with your local manager.
3. Contact Canadian Tire’s corporate office. Ultimately, Canadian Tire’s decision about whether to drop SodaStream will be made by the corporate head office in Toronto. That’s why we are going to send hundreds of messages to Canadian Tire executives as well. It’s easy: go to http://goo.gl/1yeeV2, fill in a few boxes, hit “submit” and your message will be sent to the Canadian Tire headquarters.
4. Promote the campaign through social media.
- Tweet the petition link: http://goo.gl/1yeeV2
- Tweet Canadian Tire at @CanadianTire, telling them to stop selling SodaStream
- Make sure to put a period before @CanadianTire, so that the tweet is seen by all of your followers
- Sample tweets:
.@CanadianTire Follow your Supplier Code of Conduct – remove SodaStream from your shelves. SodaStream’s made on stolen land#UGchoosepeace
.@CanadianTire Heed the call from Palestinian civil society living under illegal military occupation: remove SodaStream now! #UGchoosepeace
.@CanadianTire Do you enjoy profiting from land theft, racial discrimination, and war crimes? Remove SodaStream! #UGchoosepeace
- Share the petition on your Facebook page
- Invite your friends to sign the petition
- Through the Canadian Tire Facebook page, write comments on their posts that include a link to the petition, so their supporters on Facebook are made aware of, and can even participate in the campaign
Nothing will change if we don’t raise our voices. Lots can change if we do. Help Get the Bad Air out of Canadian Tire! Let’s send an unequivocal message to this iconic Canadian retailer that they are spoiling their own brand by associating it with a product that is linked to human rights violations.
Thanks for participating!